1⁄2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
2 cups sugar 4 eggs, separated
1 cup whole milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons liquor
3 cups all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
1-1⁄2 cups powdered gelatin
2-1⁄4 cups water or juice
1⁄2 cup liquor
Fruit, chocolate chips, flavored liqueurs, candies, or cocktail picks
1. Preheat oven to 350° degreesF. Grease a 9-by-13-inch sheet cake pan or individually portioned silicone baking molds.
2. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar 3 to 5 minutes, or until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks and milk; stir in vanilla and liquor. Mix in flour, baking powder, and salt.
3. In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until stiff. Gently fold egg whites into the batter. Fill the pan or molds two-thirds full and bake 25 to 30 minutes.
4. For the Jelly Shot: In a saucepan, bring 2-1⁄4 cups water or juice to a boil; stir in gelatin until dissolved. Remove from heat and let cool about 20 minutes. Stir in alcohol. Refrigerate until gelatin just begins to set; drop in fruit or other mix-ins, if desired.
5. Pour into a 9-by-13-inch pan (or dish) and refrigerate at least 3 hours. Prepare and chill a second jelly shot in a separate pan, if desired.
6. Slice cake into shapes or unmold. Slice jelly shots to match and stack the layers in shot glasses or on trays. Garnish with toppings or cocktail picks. Party!
Type of Cake: