I have a confession to make. I almost always pee with the door open. I don't know how I got into this habit.
I never really thought much about it until I realized that my friends ALWAYS shut and lock the door. Even when they're at my house and we're the only two people there. I thought maybe they didn't trust me. What am I gonna do? Run in there and give them wedgies?
Turns out, most people grow up in more modest homes, where people wore bathrobes and towels and never walked around naked or left bathroom doors open.
I'm one of four kids and, though not officially nudists, no one in my family was ever shy. If you tried to lock the bathroom door, within minutes someone would be banging on the door to get in. Someone might be showering, while another person was peeing and another blow-drying their hair all at the same time. Privacy and modesty were concepts that just didn't exist, and I never thought to question it. It was just the way it was. Click here
for the reasons I like to pee with the door open.
1. Closing the door is totally unnecessary. Wasted energy. Saves time.
2. It's easier for me to keep talking to whomever is there with me if the door is open.
3. My cats love to come up for a scratch while I'm peeing and if I shut the door I'd miss that one-on-one time with them.
4. Easier to escape in the event of an emergency or natural disaster.
5. It's kind of a bonding thing. It means I trust you and am comfortable with you.
6. Have a better view of the dust and cat hair under my bed and know when it's time to vacuum.
7. Easier to hear if the phone is ringing or someone is at the door.
8. Better air circulation.
9. Don't get germs on my hands from touching the door knob.
10. Makes it easier to yell to my boyfriend when I realize I have run out of toilet paper and need him to bring me a roll.
What do you think? Do you like to leave the door open or closed?
Under what circumstances do you think it's OK to leave the door open, and when is it just wrong?
I mean, I read online that a woman was having issues with her mother-in-law peeing with the door open. I wouldn't leave the door open in front of my boyfriend's parents. I draw the line at their house. I don't mind if a random stranger walks in on me in a public restroom, but I don't need to give Dr. Zickel a friggin' heart attack.