You can go online to figure out whether you should see a doctor about that rash -- should you also go online to figure out whether your ex-husband is a sociopath?
Probably not, but in Mary Jo Buttafuoco's new memoir, "Getting It Through My Thick Skull
," she diagnoses ex Joey Buttafuoco as a "very good sociopath and liar," because he meets Wikipedia's definitions of antisocial personality disorder
. (Well, and the fact that he enlisted a teenager to shoot her in the face.)
This news immediately got everyone Googling stuff like "sociopathic tendencies," presumably as they tried to diagnose the special men in their own lives. After the jump, find out what qualities make up a sociopath
.According to the DSMR-IV
(Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders), a sociopath demonstrates a clear disregard for the rights and well-being of other people, as well as meeting three of the following characteristics:
(1) failure to conform to social norms with respect to lawful behaviors, as indicated by repeatedly performing acts that are grounds for arrest
(2) deceitfulness, as indicated by repeated lying, use of aliases, or conning others for personal profit or pleasure
(3) impulsivity or failure to plan ahead
(4) irritability and aggressiveness, as indicated by repeated physical fights or assaults
(5) reckless disregard for the safety of self or others
(6) consistent irresponsibility, as indicated by repeated failure to sustain consistent work behavior or honor financial obligations
(7) lack of remorse, as indicated by being indifferent to or rationalizing having hurt, mistreated or stolen from another
Is it just us, or does this sound like every ex-boyfriend you've ever had?